Input, control and automation

Tuesday 5 January 2016

Building a home AI: Introduction

00:14 Posted by Roxton , , No comments
Another year, another press release from Mark Zuckerberg's PR team, this time listing his New Year's resolutions. One of these is to build "a simple AI" to run his home and help with his work, à la Jarvis from Iron Man. Being fantastically lazy myself, I have often wished for such an assistant, digital or otherwise, and I thought that a pleasant project for this year might be to attempt its creation, mirroring Zuck's progress.

Of course, I'm going to be facing slightly different challenges. Zuckerberg has several billion dollars; I have a student loan. He has hundreds of the brightest minds in AI research; I have a cat. On the other hand, I don't need to 'visualise data in VR' or find new ways to extort value from the harvested data of a billion users.

Next time, I'll run through some of the specifications and requirements of the proposed system, but until then I'll be working on the hardest part of any new project: naming it. In keeping with the robo-butler theme, here are some ideas:
  • Jarvis (getting the obvious out of the way)
  • Jeeves (actually a valet, and also terribly obvious)
  • Beach
  • Bunter
    • Mervyn
  • Kyrano
  • Merridew
  • Seppings
  • Butterfield
  • Oakshott
  • Wodehouse.
What's that, Verity? Using the names of fictional servants is forbidden (and possibly in violation of copyright law)? Bah. If anyone reading this is capable of original thought (I'm not, clearly), shove your ideas below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment